Fri, 19 Apr|
Embodied Art Therapy with Children and Adults: Training Workshop for Multi-disciplinary Practitioners
• Would you like to practice embodied art therapy interventions that can be incorporated into our work with children and adults? • Would you like to develop your attunement to the varied multi-sensory strengths and needs of different service users?
Time & Location
19 Apr 2024, 08:15 – 13:30
Amethyst , Pembroke, Malta
About the Event
Embodied Art Therapy with Children and Adults:
Training Workshop for Multi-disciplinary Practitioners
With Dr Elaine Grech (Ph.D.)
Warranted Gestalt and Systemic Psychotherapist, Accredited Supervisor and Warranted Teacher
Date: Friday, 19th April 2024
Time: 8.15 am to 1.30 pm (5 CPD hours)
Location: Pembroke Clinic (Limited Number)
Price: 100 € (includes 2 tea breaks)
Early Bird: 90€ if you pay by the 19thFebruary 2024
Aimed for: Multi-disciplinary practitioners who want to learn how to incorporate embodied art therapy techniques. One does not need to be artistically skilled to develop this approach. What does help is a curiosity to develop a multi-sensory way of expressing oneself to serve the people we work with.
Since the workshop is experiential, it also aims to support the personal and professional growth of the practitioners.
The professionals include psychotherapists, family therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors, guidance teachers, teachers, creative arts therapists, social workers, child and youth care workers, support workers, teachers, artists and many others.
Research in trauma advocates for incorporating sensory-based interventions that can help regulate emotions (Levine & Frederick, 1997; Malchiodi, 2020; van der Kolk, 2015). People are different in their dominant sense, the one they use most easily to express themselves, learn and heal. Visual learners might find themselves more comfortable initially expressing themselves through colour, marks, scribbles on paper, or visual symbols rather than through words. Kinesthetic learners might first become aware of their experience through attuning to their body movement. Auditory learners orient themselves to sounds. So, while some people's expression through the senses supports them to eventually be able to find the right words and reflect (bottom-up approach), others might need to start by talking and start to get in touch with their senses through sensory-based interventions (top-down approach).
In this workshop, we will explore embodied art therapy interventions that attune to the specific sensory needs of the people we support. If one is working with a couple, a family, or a team, these needs might be different even within the same system, and the facilitator can develop therapeutic possibilities that are attuned to the various needs within this system,
This workshop incorporates a few meaningful art therapy interventions into this multi-sensory process. So, while some of us start with a visual symbol (art expression), others might start by getting in touch with a sensation in their body (interoception), others with a movement, and others with a sound or word. The art therapy interventions practised will be contextualized within this multi-sensory working model.
I wish you well, and thank you for your service to the community!
Price: 100€ (includes tea breaks)
Early Bird Fee 90€ if you pay by the 19th of February 2024
1. Book Through the Website's Upcoming Events
and click Register Now on the event of your choice.
2. How to secure your payment:
• Payment needs to take place within 24 hours; otherwise, your registration will not be secured.
• Write your name and the workshop’s title when processing the payment so that payment can be identified.
• Email confirmation of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can confirm your booking: Name and Surname, Workshop Title and Date, Method of Payment chosen and email address for correspondence regarding the workshop.
3. Participants will receive a receipt of payment in the email provided and a certificate of attendance after completing the workshop.
4. Please note that it is on a first-come, first-served basis, and therefore, your booking can only be confirmed after receiving payment and registration.
5. The payment is non-refundable and non-transferable unless due to the rare eventuality of the workshop being cancelled by the facilitator if the minimum number is not reached.
6. Around a week before the workshop, you will receive an email with details on the location and some ideas on how to prepare yourself for the training.
Payment on Revolut
or Mobile Banking: 00356 99447307
(If using PayPal, please add 5 euros to the amount to cover the PayPal Fee).
Online Bank Transfer
SWIFT Code: VALLMTMT IBAN: MT60VALL22013000000040013125068
Looking forward to our creative space.
Dr Elaine Grech